Poll ended at Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes
48% - 13 votes
No
26% - 7 votes
Maybe So
26% - 7 votes
Total votes: 27
How do you all feel about Campbell County? To be blunt, would it matter significantly to you guys if we closed down in the next few months? Discuss, give feedback, and vote in the poll.
What reason would there be to close it? People still post.

~~~Ryan Matlock: Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
Sometimes it's nothing but a sea of admin posts and few non-admins. And not everyone who comes on posts. And when you factor in the small number of people who do come on anymore, it's a small amount on all hands.
To be blunt, why does it matter? I mean, why should a message board close itself down in self-pity every single time there's a lull in posting? I realize I haven't been on this board in ages (and probably won't return for ages still), and thus, my opinion probably means very little. Still, I'm noticing a pattern:

1. People begin to post less on Campbell County.
2. Campbell County is closed down.
3. Campbell County is revived, and everyone's excited for a little while.
4. People begin to post less on Campbell County.

Etc, etc... If this has only happened once or twice, then I should've done my research better and you can tell me to get lost, but I seem to recall it happening three or four times. So I propose an alternative: instead of getting sad about the dwindling number of posts and closing down this board, why not work on ways to make it unique from the other Odyssey boards (namely, the Soda Shop and the ToO)? Just my two cents, though, and what do I know about running a message board?
Oh, haha, haha, haha. We're not crying and closing in self-pity because there's no one posting. We're seriously considering closing because we've seen a steady decline in the amount of posts and amount of visitors over the past year, with only temporary increases. It seems as if it would be better to close down since it's obvious that people have lost interest in the board, signifying that perhaps Campbell County's time is over. No need to keep bothering people and telling them to come back online, since the community has stagnated.

This isn't a matter of people don't post for a week and we start crying and closing down. This is a matter of, like I stated earlier, a systematic decline over the course of the last nine months, with only temporary, small increases for events and other things.

Maybe the best solution is to make this board unique from the other boards, I don't know. But your assertion that the only reason we're closing down is because we're sad and pitying ourselves because no one has posted in the past few weeks is quite frankly insulting to Bren and the other leaders of the board. We've put a lot of time and effort into the board and its upkeep, and we're not going to close it down without serious contemplation, discussion, and prayer, as well as feedback from the community.

And moving forum software and site location is hardly equivalent to closing down and being revived.
I don't understand why people came here to begin with. TEP was much better than CC will ever be.
Sooooo....why are you here then? Since you don't understand why people came here, you must not understand yourself very well...
Oh, I totally understand myself. My sole reason for being here is to point out Brens flaws.
Sure, Bren. Whatever you say.
Ever since I joined here... which was a few years ago, this site has been dying. The hottest discussions on here (at least, among the admins/mods) was how to get more activity. So, with a couple YEARS of nothing working, it is obvious this site will not be increasing any more than what it is now. And I personally think it is time to let it go. I also think the server move (or whatever) hurt it worse. I, personally, don't like the new layout... but maybe there are other board styles?

Anyway, I think CC is too much like the ToO and SS.. (but more so the ToO). So why don't you guys invest your time in keeping those two forums active? I think it would be better all the way around. I mean, the AIO online community isn't that large as it is, so spreading it across three sites wears it mighty thin.

Anyway, that is just my two cents. I've been feeling this way for a couple years now. I think you all, and Bren especially, have done your best, does that mean you failed? Not quite. It just means the public didn't take. Nothing wrong with that, and there was nothing wrong with trying. But you gotta know when your beat, and when it's time to move on to another adventure. I know, it will be hard for you, Bren, but I think you'll be happier in the long run.
"snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart." -Bmuntz
Okay, I think I understand everything a bit better, and I'm sorry if I insulted you. Snubs has assessed the situation far more tactfully and eloquently that I ever could have, and I am now in total agreement with him (or her). Perhaps it is time to let CC go, not because it's inferior to the other boards, necessarily, but just because it's less popular, and the AIO community shouldn't have to spread itself so thin over three boards. But once again, I just got here, so you don't have to listen to a word I say.
I pretty much agree with snubs on the subject, I think it's time to move onto new things.
I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave it open and let people post when they want to. I mean, it might not be as frequent as you want it to be, but just let it live.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
In some ways I can see closing but on the flip side, I don't gel with the other boards like I once did so my presence won't be felt as much.
Never mind, I was mistaken.
AudPod wrote:I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave it open and let people post when they want to. I mean, it might not be as frequent as you want it to be, but just let it live.

If this were to happen, there would be no admins on anymore. They'd be off doing something that they think is more productive than sitting watching an inactive board.
"You hit the nail on the proverbial head."
Image ImageImage
Join The CC at: http://campbellcounty.co
The numbers so far are a lot different that what I expected. Surprisingly some want to leave it open. My dream is for it to be pretty successful but maybe that time has come and gone. Even elections aren't as exciting as they once were apparently.
Interestingly the amount of yes votes doesn't correlate with the amount of posts.
I love CC. I can't regularly get on CC anymore because of other priorities. I get on every now and then to help boost activity (hopefully), but I just can't get on regularly. I love you guys, but you should do what you think is best. I don't want CC to close, but I don't want admins to have to spend time hanging out on an empty board either. Maybe snubs is right in that it's time to move on. From the state of things right now I'd say for the admins' sake it would be a wiser choice to close the place down. *shrugs* It's your call.

Just as an idea, you could always try closing CC down for a little while, and if enough people really miss it and want to bring it back you can . . . otherwise you know that it is time to move on.
"Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments." Psalm 119:164
Mr. Whit's End wrote:Oh, haha, haha, haha. We're not crying and closing in self-pity because there's no one posting. We're seriously considering closing because we've seen a steady decline in the amount of posts and amount of visitors over the past year, with only temporary increases. It seems as if it would be better to close down since it's obvious that people have lost interest in the board, signifying that perhaps Campbell County's time is over. No need to keep bothering people and telling them to come back online, since the community has stagnated.

That, Mr. Whit's End, is exactly what Arnold just said. Every so often they "seriously consider" shutting down and do indeed shut down and he's just saying it doesn't really seem necessary.

But I will say they really don't need to work more on making this place different from the ToO and SS. They do that a lot already, it's always been plenty different.

Anyhow, I'd prefer it stay open. I pop in now and again. Granted, pretty rarely. But that's why I like it. The SS is addictive and makes you want to check it pretty regularly because there's always something going on. This is just a nice quiet place that's less of a time-commitment. It's never going to boom with business, but that's why I come.
CCTZ
about | feedback