A Warrior's Heart

This is something my friends from WE did together a few times and it was a lot of fun. So I figured, why not try it here? :) the name of the topic will be the name of the story. Unless a better name is thought up in the future.

I'll start off a story, and each person who wishes to play takes a turn writing the next part of that story. It's like the Finish That Story game, except each person writes a longer part. It doesn't have to be real long, but at least a paragraph would be nice.
You don't have to be a "writer" to join. Just have fun with it and there's no telling where it will go.
Hope we can get quite a few people to join.

Anyways, let's start:

Far away and long ago, albeit not quite as long as you might think, there lived a lad by the name of Reese. He resided in the home of his aunt and uncle on his mother's side. He had been an orphan now for four years. His mother had raised him the best she could. Reese had never known his father. Whenever he had asked about his father a sadness settled over her face as if his memory still pained her. She said that he had fought bravely in the War of a Thousand Flames. But like so many other brave men, he had never returned.
Reese was falling. Head over heels, out of control falling. The wind tearing at his clothes and filling his ears with a steady hum like a taunting whisper foretelling his coming death. The ground was coming up closer with every passing second. He opened his mouth to scream when all of a sudden.. He woke up. He was shaking slightly as he let out a gasp of relief and tried to relax his now-tense muscles. One of his greatest fears was heights. Not so much because of how far away he was from the ground, but how far away it would be from him should he fall from said height. He took deep, slow breaths and settled back into bed. Just as his reeling mind had begun to drift off into sleep, something hit the goosefeather pillow two inches from his head while simultaneously letting out a yowl loud enough to wake the dead. Reese's nerves already on edge, he sat up so quickly that he very nearly fell out of bed. But It was just the old tabby his aunt kept around to keep any mice population from arising in the barn he realized, heart still pounding. Muttering, he picked up the skinny thing and shoved it out of his open window. It landed on it's feet as always, and ran off into the night. The boy leaned on his hands that were placed firmly upon the window sill and looked up at the sky. Like blackened soot with a sprinkling of dusty silver stars, the sky was enchanting. Just starting to turn purple on the horizon, it hinted of the new day that would arrive in a few hours. "Time to start on the chores then." He got dressed for the day and walked outside to the barn. There was still a foggy mist out this early in the morning and it felt cool on his face. A reminder that Winter's chill would soon be visiting the hill country. He carried a wooden bucket of grain in one hand, a lantern in the other. But upon entering the barn, he sensed that something was not as it usually was. The atmosphere in the building seemed different somehow. The animals agitated. Suddenly, his eyes caught a small movement from one of the shadowed corners of the dusty place. And holding the lantern higher, he could now see a pair of frightened eyes belonging to a person who was sitting on the barn's floor, wrapped up tightly in a threadbare cloak. Reese relaxed slightly but there was still a note of suspicion in his voice as he asked, "Who are you?"

Your turn! Sorry it was so long. I wanted to give it a good introduction. Also, sorry if it didn't make much sense. It's almost two in the morning. x)
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
"I...don't know. There was fire...lots of screaming, and then I was here." The person said.
Reese's breath caught in his throat. It sounded just like the tales he had heard from the old soldiers in the bar. He worked there sweeping the floors during the summer. The soldiers had been in the War, the first one, that is, but that had been twenty years ago. This mystery person couldn't be any more than sixteen, maybe seventeen.
"OK, then. Tell you what. I'll go back to my mother and let her know you're here, but don't think that means I trust you." Reese stated cautiously.
"Understood. I'm not going anywhere." The person, whom Reese was almost sure was female, replied.
"I'm back, I'm surprised you didn't leave. My mother said to tell you to leave. NOW!"
"You hit the nail on the proverbial head."
Image ImageImage
Join The CC at: http://campbellcounty.co
"I understand. Not many people want a stranger around. But can I at least stay for one night? I'll do the chores." And as if to prove her point she picked up the pitchfork. Reese, still being suspicious said, "Maybe tomorrow."
"Tomorrow. How do I know there is going to be a tomorrow for me? How do I know you won't kill me!?" She accused.
Reese shook his head,"I'd never kill you." The girl nodded in disbelief. "Believe me. I won't." Reese told her firmly.
She fell silent. Reese sighed, "Let me go talk to my mother about you staying. " She looked up.
"I'm Lowla High." Reese nodded and ran off to ask his mother. He came out with a beautiful woman. Up close Lowla noticed wrinkles from each day of hard work.
"You're saying you will work to stay here? Well I guess we will try it for a week. If you don't work well, you'll be kicked out." Then she walked into one of the horses stalls to feed it.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
Frozen: It rules!
Emily: ERK thinks she rules, but the KRE knows the Truth.
Baby Animals: They are adorable!
Me: I chase turkeys with lawn chairs.
Reese wondered who this strange woman was. But, he and Lowla helped his mother.
Ignorance to the law is no excuse!
Lowla was still uneasy, but hearing that she would at least be given a chance flooded her with relief. She studied Reese's mother in quick glances as they worked for an hour and a half, feeding the livestock, cleaning the stalls, and carrying pails of water to the trough. The lady was indeed, beautiful. But there was a slight hardness to her face that spoke of having lived through tough times. She was rather tall in comparison to most who lived in this part of the country, but a few inches shorter than her son. From her brown hair caught up in a Dutch braid that circled her head, and her blue gingham dress that was faded and had been mended in several places, Lowla deduced that Reese and his mother were not exactly poor, but had to make their money count and not spend it on frivolous things.
Reese had taken most of the cows to the pasture, Lowla and the lady of the house had stayed behind, Lowla mucking out the last stall and her recent employer milking a brown goat with white markings.
Silence hung in the air like a suffocating blanket. Lowla finally broke it by clearing her throat. The other woman didn't seem to notice. Afterthought sounds of a few more squirts of milk hitting the bucket and the pitchfork scraping the cobblestone floor, she decided to try again. "I've just realized I never asked your name."
Reese's mother didn't look up, didn't miss a beat "Naomi." She stated simply.
"That's a nice name. In fact, it was my grandmother's. Your accent sounds a little different than Reese's and most of the accents I have heard. Are you originally from a different place?"
This finally caused Naomi to pause. She stared at the creamy milk that half-filled her bucket. "I thought you couldn't remember things about your past. How do you know my accent is different than others besides Reese's?"
Lowla blinked, a little taken aback. "I-I'm not sure... It's like.. I still remember certain things. The names of various animals, how it feels to miss someone... But there's a big hole swallowing up all of what I once was. I know I miss someone, but not who I miss. It's like I'm looking through a very dark glass. I can barely make out that there's something on the other side. But what it is lies just beyond reach. It's vexing." She gripped the pitch fork's handle tightly as if reaffirming it's existence would bring back her past.
Naomi was quiet for a moment. "You're right. I'm not from this place. I'm from somewhere very far away that I can only visit in my memories." She looked up smiling sympathetically at her companion. "So I can't imagine how it would feel to lose it all."
Lowla opened her mouth to answer, but at that moment they both heard the sound of Reese's voice yelling from outside. Lowla quickly turned toward the sound but as she did a wave of dizziness washed over her. The world began to scramble before her eyes, and pitchfork clattered to the floor only a few feet away from where she fell a moment later.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Reece rushed over.
"What happened!?" He asked his mother.
"I don't know, one minute she was talking about what she could remember, then she fainted!"
"We need to get her to Doc. Morgan."

1 Hour Later...

"Do you know anything Doc?" Reece said.
"No, she seems to be in a coma, but it's unlike anything I've ever seen. I can't quite figure out what it is yet. I'll get back to you when I know more."
"Thanks Doc."

Meanwhile...
"Ugh, my head hurts so bad. Where are Reece and Naomi? Wait, I'm not in the barn, where am I?" Lowla thought. She appeared to be lying on the ground in a field of flowers.
Image ImageImage
Lowla couldn't handle it any more. She had been seeing blurry figures of Reese, Naomi, and another strange man all day. She couldn't make out anything of where she was, or where Reese was. She tried to understand what was going on.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
How long she had lain there, she didn't know. It seemed like there had been dreams, dreadfully complicated dreams that made her head swim. But they were gone now except for a vague shadow of memory that was fading quickly.
It must be mid-noon, she guessed from the position of the sun. Had she really been out that long?
Lowla shakily stood, and began assessing her surroundings. In every direction, waist-high grass swayed gently in a cool breeze, a green canvas brought to life by bright patches of iridescent flowers. Behind her stretched a seemingly endless sea of grass but in front there was a hill with a single tree which sat on it's highest point. Seeing nothing familiar, and not remembering where she was in the first place, she decided to climb the hill. This was the highest point in sight, so she hoped she would be able to see home from there.
Home? Where had that thought come from? There was no such place as home for Lowla. She shook it off, deciding there were more important things to think of at the moment.
Upon finally reaching the top of the hill, which was much bigger than she had first thought, she leaned against the tree while trying to catch her breath. Absently, she ran her fingers over its smooth bark while slowly looking around, the sudden change of landscape took her by surprise. First, the flowing flowers and grass that were so abundant in the field abruptly began to dissipate, giving way to orange earth with a hint of red.
"Well, the grass is definitely not greener on the other side." She remarked to herself.
A forest of incredibly tall trees arose farther to the right, and what seemed to be a sea of sand looming to the left. As she looked straight ahead, she suddenly caught a glimpse of a small cabin in the distance. Pain shot through her head again with a greater intensity, making her gasp and fall back against the tree.
The pain subsided as she stared at the ground. Deciding to have another look, her eyes rose back to the cabin. The pain came again, but she still stared letting it roll over her in waves, focusing only on what lay before her eyes. This... She knew this place. The sight realization, and pain that still swept through her brought tears to her eyes. She had to get closer. It was a firm resolve. No matter how much it hurt, she had to take this journey back to her past.
With every trudging step that she took closer to the dwelling, the ache in her head intensified. Finally, she had to push all thoughts from her mind and concentrate solely on each footstep. Forcing herself over each inch of space that stood between her and her goal.
Left.
Right.
Left.
It took a little while to realize it, but the pain began to lessen bit by bit until it became a persistent ache in the back of her mind, When it hit her that she could hold up her head now without pain which had before translated into blinding lights of various colours piercing through her vision every time she moved, she cautiously raised her eyes and straightened ever so slowly. She was now only fifty feet from the cabin and looking at it no longer hurt. Half of the outside was beautiful, the smooth, rich brown seeming almost to glow. The other half, however, was old and rundown. The roof on the latter side was caving in, the window panes filthy or smashed. The whole place had a sad ambience, as if speaking of many things which should have been, but were not, and never would be. Moving forward for a better look, she ran her hand along the outside wall. It was more grimy than she had thought, and pulling her hand back she realized that it was covered with soot and embers that flaked off, settling onto her palm.
Embers? Soot? Lowla stood confused for a moment, before things came rushing back to her all at once. First they were having dinner, then screams and yells, pounding on the door, her mother telling her to go down into the hidden cellar. Suddenly the door was no more, only jagged pieces of wood strewn across the dirt floor. She tried climbing down into the cellar, but she couldn't. It seemed as if some force were forbidding her from going down. Then smoke and more yells and screams. Pictures flashed through her mind, pictures that not even the strongest nor the bravest of human beings could comprehend without sorrow and grief, tears and anguish. Lowla fell to her knees upon the grass, unable to grasp what these images meant, neither was she able to bear the sorrow that came with them. Her heartbeats started to slow, when the pictures began once more: This time half of the house was burned. All of it should have all burned, but it didn't. Why? Suddenly she realized something else: silence. She looked around her, taking in her surroundings. All of the furniture was destroyed, pieces lying here and there across the small house floor.

Lowla took a deep breath to calm herself, only to whiff in a breath of smoke and contaminated air. She gasped as it went into her lungs, causing her to cough. She stumbled across the floor to the outside for fresh air, and although her coughing stopped, she could not believe what she saw next.
"Dad? Dad is that you?" She asked as she saw a fleeting image of her dad. "Wait, I don't know who my dad is!" She thought. "I'm going crazy! I need to get out of here!" Suddenly she saw someone. It didn't waver, so she knew it was real, but she didn't know how far away he was. It was so hard to judge distance here, like being in the mountains. Sometimes you see something big, but it looks small and you start walking towards it and it doesn't get any bigger, or when you see something small but it looks big and it takes no time at all to get to it. This person was obviously very close as it only took a minute to get to him.
Image ImageImage
However, this strange person suddenly screamed and ran away...then Lowla fainted...the next thing she knew, she awoke in the middle of the night...she could hear the wind...and...a footstep?...what was that?
She realized with a start that a dwarf was sitting next to her baking rabbit over a fire.
"Well now," It said, "You've finally woken up! I've made some breakfast for you."
"Umm, thanks..."
"Thorin, Thorin Oakenshield."
"I'm Lowla High, nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand. When the dwarf didn't take her hand, she realized he didn't know what a handshake was, so she pulled her hand back.
Image ImageImage
"What are you doing here? Where am I? What are you doing with that tube of stuff?"
The dwarf held up his hand. Lowla fell silent. "You are in Zerenial. I am looking for my father. I am trying to heal you." Thorin said in a deep voice.
"I was running then I collapsed. Strange things are happening to me. I need to stay in one place. I can't control this..." Lowla said in a pleading voice as she faded away. Thorin realized her spirit was leaving him. "Lowla! Lowla! .....She's has gone to a different world. How can this be? This is bigger than anyone realizes." Thorin picked Lowla up and ran to the troop of dwarves nearby.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
But, slowly Lowla turned into vapour...
"She's coming 'round!" Reece exclaimed.
"Finally! Now we can get some answers as to what happened!" His mother replied.
Image ImageImage
Lowla shook her head. Reese grabbed her hand and said, "Where were you?"
"Iiiiiiii. Ummm..."

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
CCTZ
about | feedback