What do you look for in a book?

What makes a good book? What keeps your attention? What about a book makes it hit your top list?
Fascinating question, but a hard one. There are few hard and fast prefrences I have, all books are so different, but I'll try to nailI a few. I'd say creativity, characters with depth who the author clearly cares about, dialogue that feels natural, and a touch of humor where appropriate. Books with such qualities include, off the top of my head, Centerburg Tales, Narnia, Harry Potter, Raising Dragons, Pride and Prejudice, and LOTR.
Hmm. I like Medieval Fantasy or just plain fantasy. I like abnormal writing that is the best kind.
The top thing I look for in a book is for it to have a very smart and interesting plot. I also love twisty endings O.o
Job 37:14-16
"Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God's wonders. Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash? Do you know how the clouds hang poised, those wonders of him who is perfect in knowledge?"
I sometimes get tired of books with unbelievably plots. And people who don't read up.
I generally like a book that is well-paced, usually fantasy, something that really makes you think, and is descriptive enough to come alive in your mind's eye.. That makes you feel like your right there with the character. Also, when the character feels real. Well, there's a few things, haha. As The Foolish One stated, all books are so different.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
I notice to my dismay, many times characters are unbelievable. They are supposed to be one way yet reflect the author which is totally different from how they should be making them bipolar.
I just want a book that holds my interest. Not much else matters, actually. If I don't desperately need to find out what happens next, I probably won't bother. Books have to earn my interest, the best way to do that is setting up a good conflict involving interesting characters.
I usually look for a physical object with a cover and pages with printed words.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
I agree. When I open a book, I look for words that form sentences that form paragraphs that form pages.
You gotta narrow the search down Mr.WE :shame: Are you saying you like all books? :afraid:
Job 37:14-16
"Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God's wonders. Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash? Do you know how the clouds hang poised, those wonders of him who is perfect in knowledge?"
Of course. Mr. Whit's End is a particularly big fan of Twilight.
Consider yourself and every member of the ERK on this forum (un)officially warned. Accusing admins of liking Twilight is strictly forbidden and is punishable by forced listenings of Target of the Week.
In that case, you despise Twilight. Just don't make me listen to Target of the Week. Have mercy.
I look for a fantasy, or science fiction that is approved by my parents.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
Frozen: It rules!
Emily: ERK thinks she rules, but the KRE knows the Truth.
Baby Animals: They are adorable!
Me: I chase turkeys with lawn chairs.
SciFi, Mystery, History, War.
"You hit the nail on the proverbial head."
Image ImageImage
Join The CC at: http://campbellcounty.co
Mr. Whit's End wrote:Consider yourself and every member of the ERK on this forum (un)officially warned. Accusing admins of liking Twilight is strictly forbidden and is punishable by forced listenings of Target of the Week.

This is not stated in the Rules Topic. I think we should add it in. :yes:
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Lol Tay. Yeah, it should be.
CCTZ
about | feedback