Album 58 Discussion

What did we think of album 58?

I thought it was a very daring move on Focus's part. They had the guts to tackle such a big issue, and while there might have been some flaws in the execution, they pulled it off pretty well.
I really didn't like this album. At all. *hides*
It wasn't all that bad. I like some of the discussions even though they danced around the issues a lot.
Yeah, they really danced around it.
In other words, they were subtle. You're used to AIO spoon-feeding. What's wrong with deciding to refrain from hitting people over the head with the moral? Spoon-feeding is fine, but not every aio has to go, "And so what we have learned applies to our lives today, God has a lot to say in His book." Besides, aio is a tool for parents. Some parents disagree about gay issues.
Having Whit say the words gay marriage is not hitting people over the head with a moral.
I loved the illustrations they used to try to explain it.Like the pen one. They illustrated how marriage is being distorted perfectly. Yes they may not have come out and said "gay marriage" but the way they handled it is a great springboard into discussion which is what I believe they were trying to do. I thought it was well done. The zombie part made me laugh, but that helped drive home a point too.

Are you saying that having Whit say "Gay marriage" would have made the episode better? What else didn't you like about this album?
All I'm saying is that it wouldn't have killed them to say "gay marriage." It just got a little tiresome with them using words like "tolerance" and "inclusivity" as a replacement for the words "gay marriage." I do understand why they do it, I just wasn't a fan of it.

I didn't really enjoy the zombie storyline.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:All I'm saying is that it wouldn't have killed them to say "gay marriage." It just got a little tiresome with them using words like "tolerance" and "inclusivity" as a replacement for the words "gay marriage." I do understand why they do it, I just wasn't a fan of it.

I didn't really enjoy the zombie storyline.

I can see that. But I think they handled it well.

The zombie storyline was different, but I liked the tie in to the media and how it adapts to societal expectations of various views. I did think that the statistics on who cares about the issues was interesting too.I'll admit, I was hoping for something else out of hangman's hallow though.
Yeah they made hangmans hollow out to be some mysterious conspiracy, and it turns out to be a tv show.
Jason wrote:I loved the illustrations they used to try to explain it.Like the pen one. They illustrated how marriage is being distorted perfectly. Yes they may not have come out and said "gay marriage" but the way they handled it is a great springboard into discussion which is what I believe they were trying to do. I thought it was well done. The zombie part made me laugh, but that helped drive home a point too.

This.

Mr. Whit's End wrote:Yeah they made hangmans hollow out to be some mysterious conspiracy, and it turns out to be a tv show.
Exactly, Mr. Twin. Heaven forbid a story fool you. They're supposed to be predictable. If you think something is important, it should turn out to be important. Especially in a mystery.
ok, whatever. My problem is how they seemingly changed tones in the middle of the plot line. It's some big, secret mystery and then all of a sudden it's almost comedic.
Yanno, it's hard when this program is targeted to younger kids while they also have a large older audience. There's kids that might not even know what gay means, so if they did mention that term in particular, then those kids might ask about that word and such. Like planting a thought that isn't even there just to make a point about it that doesn't necesarily need to be made to the young ones. Plus leaving it more vague offers an opportunity for a parent to use the album as a discussion springboard and less of a preachy-kinda thing. In that way, I think it was very well done. :)

What I still wonder about, and what I forgot to ask Paul during our interview (which can be heard here!), is what disease Rhonda's brother Randall had.

But overall, I really enjoyed the album as a whole. Comic Connellsville was a blast! I actually predicted Wooton's house being burnt down even before I heard the second episode. Bren and I both suspected that Whit might be having health problems too, but they started subtly hinting at that in the last album. And the final scene was a little unexpected, but as soon as it started I knew something like that was coming - I'm oddly excited about it, actually! Before this album, I was thinking that the writers might eventually have Penny and Wooton marry, but I wasn't expecting to be so... For it. Yanno?
I love popcorn!!
"Stupid is another word for creative! ...I think..."
Randall probably had HIV. And AIO always says they are a springboard for families to discuss issues.
Yeah. If you haven't already, listen to the Whit's End Podcast's interview with Paul McCusker. They cover a lot of feedback about Album 58.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:ok, whatever.

So you concede that point?
Mr. Whit's End wrote:My problem is how they seemingly changed tones in the middle of the plot line. It's some big, secret mystery and then all of a sudden it's almost comedic.

No almost about it. It switched to farce for a little while. Keep in mind, this is a whole album after all. Most albums we get a comedy in there somewhere. So this kind of sticks in the comedy without actually having an entire episode devoted to it.

Nothing wrong with changing tone. Just like in music, switching tones even drastically can work fine. King Lear is a tragedy, but it takes more than one break to a be comedy, which makes it feel all the more tragic at the end. The humor amuses and also contrasts with the seriousness and makes it seem even more serious.
I just think they should be consistent within their plotlines regarding tone. And in this case, I don't think they switched it fine. They tried to play off a zombie attack as a serious situation.

This whole debate comes down to you saying that your opinion is right, and me saying my opinion is right. I promise I'll take time to write a proper response tomorrow, but it's getting late, my contact lenses are dry, and frankly AIO boards aren't my highest priority.

*waits for PF to claim this album is objectively good*
Mr. Whit's End wrote:I just think they should be consistent within their plotlines regarding tone.
Plotlines? What do you mean by that? How would the rest switch tone but not the plotline? It seems that if humorous events occur, the plot is temporarily humorous as well. The main character can be shot by a hunter in a potentially serious plot twist and it can be funny provided his name is Fudd.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:They tried to play off a zombie attack as a serious situation.

For little kids, yeah. This is a little kid show, remember? 8-12. An eight year old could easily go, "Aah, zombies!" But it was only serious momentarily, stroytellers often mix humor and seriousness. Roald Dahl, for instance, and the Marvel movies are also a good example. But surely it occurred to Paul that for older people that would be a weirdly amusing moment.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:[...]but it's getting late, my contact lenses are dry,

Uh oh, glad you took care of that. Don't want your lenses to become a permanent part of your eyeballs. Or lose control over your left eyelid.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:and frankly AIO boards aren't my highest priority.

Okay, Detective Polehouse.

PS, the album is objectively good.

(But that's not the point of this discussion, whether that can or can't be.)
The Foolish One wrote:
Mr. Whit's End wrote:I just think they should be consistent within their plotlines regarding tone.
Plotlines? What do you mean by that? How would the rest switch tone but not the plotline? It seems that if humorous events occur, the plot is temporarily humorous as well. The main character can be shot by a hunter in a potentially serious plot twist and it can be funny provided his name is Fudd.
[/quote]
i don't know, I guess I just don't find that humorous. OK well what I mean by plotlines is this. Say we have two plotlines. One's about Joe getting sued and one is about Bob doing a comedy routine. Now obviously, Joe's plotline is going to be serious, and it would be quite jarring for it to turn into a comedy halfway through. Same with Bob's.

The Evil One wrote:
Mr. Whit's End wrote:They tried to play off a zombie attack as a serious situation.

For little kids, yeah. This is a little kid show, remember? 8-12. An eight year old could easily go, "Aah, zombies!" But it was only serious momentarily, stroytellers often mix humor and seriousness. Roald Dahl, for instance, and the Marvel movies are also a good example. But surely it occurred to Paul that for older people that would be a weirdly amusing moment.
[/quote]
I think this whole argument revolves around the fact that we find different things funny and un-funny. That being said, it's interesting that AIO used zombies for "humor" when the entire plotline is that the zombies and the show that they're in don't show an ideal representation of a family, or the best type of media to consume.

The Evil One][quote="Mr. Whit's End wrote:[...]but it's getting late, my contact lenses are dry,

Uh oh, glad you took care of that. Don't want your lenses to become a permanent part of your eyeballs. Or lose control over your left eyelid.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:and frankly AIO boards aren't my highest priority.

Okay, Detective Polehouse.

PS, the album is objectively good.

(But that's not the point of this discussion, whether that can or can't be.)[/quote]
And from what perspective do you say that the album is objectively good?
^I'm going to have to agree with just about everything WE said. There's a difference between something being a mystery and a comedy, and it suddenly completely changing tones in the middle from a mystery to a comedy.
CCTZ
about | feedback