Secular Music

How often do you listen to music by artists who aren't labeled Christian? Do you listen to the pop stations? Do you think as Christians we should listen to music that isn't obviously talking about God?

I do listen to secular music. Not a lot, but I do. Sometimes when Air1 gets annoying I listen to the pop stations but I end up changing back to Air1 when a song comes on that I am uncomfortable listening to. Like stuff by Pitbull, Miley Cyrus, etc. But I like some songs by Imagine Dragons, Alex Clare, Adele, and Bruno Mars. If music was rated similar to movies, than I listen to G and PG secular music.
2 Corinthians 12:10

Your money your singleness marriage talent and time
They were loaned to you to show the world that Christ is Divine ~Lecrae

I don't listen to the radio much, but I pick out certain songs I like on youtube or grooveshark. Josh Groban has an amazing quality voice. The Piano Guys are some of the people I listen to most. Jackie Evancho is amazing for her age. I listen to her CDs quite a bit.
I rarely listen to music but my opinion is that we should really take care in what the people who are singing the song imply.
I listen to quite a bit of secular music, like Coldplay, Regina Spektor, IMAGINE DRAGONS (EPIC IN PURE), and things like that. I do this through Pandora, which has an explicit filter, which I have turned on. So, the worst song that I have gotten (It is a bad song) is I love the way you lie. I have no problem listening or even owning secular music, and since I use pandora the most, I don't really have to worry with the music that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Correction: I do have a problem with the explicit and "hinting" music. I am particular with the artists I listen to.
-NarniaQA Guy. Blogger. And human being. And minecraft commentator/dictator. BEAT THAT!!! I mean to the human being...
http://narniaqaguy.blogspot.com | My graphic design center | http://www.youtube.com/narniaqaguy
I don't listen to a lot of secular music since I love southern gospel so much, but once in a while I will listen to a Selena Gomez song or something from Disney. I do belive if you listen to secular music too much it can take you down a path you don't want to take. However, it's also possible to listen to it a small amount and not really be affected by it.
My dad isn't too fond of secular music, mostly rocky stuff, so I don't tend to listen to secular music on Pandora, with the exception of Disney, musicals and such. But I still tend to hear a lot of secular songs through youth group (believe it or not. Bus rides are a PAIN). But I think we really should be careful when listening to song with certain implications.
Oh yeah bus rides are terrible. Once I got stuck with JB lovers.... Pure psychological torture. I dislike insinuating songs but most are.
NarniaQA Guy wrote:I listen to quite a bit of secular music, like Coldplay, Regina Spektor, IMAGINE DRAGONS (EPIC IN PURE), and things like that. I do this through Pandora, which has an explicit filter, which I have turned on. So, the worst song that I have gotten (It is a bad song) is I love the way you lie. I have no problem listening or even owning secular music, and since I use pandora the most, I don't really have to worry with the music that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Correction: I do have a problem with the explicit and "hinting" music. I am particular with the artists I listen to.

yeah I use Pandora to so that's the only time I listen to music that is not christian
I listen to quite a bit of secular music, to be honest. Obviously, I prefer Christian music, but if there is a band such as Imagine Dragons (THEY'RE AMAZING.) who has lyrics that are okay, I will listen to them a lot. I also use Pandora ALL. THE. TIME. As in, when they imposed the 40 hour listening limit, I literally used it up in three days. Not kidding. So, a lot of secular music comes up on there. but most of it is okay. I don't listen to pop, though.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
@NG

You listen to Regina Spektor? O.o *high fives* YES :yes:

I do listen to secular music (not very often because I don't have an ipod or phone or anything of that sort) but when I do listen I greatly enjoy it and really appreciate a good artist.
I actually don't enjoy contemporary Christian music. I disagree with quite a lot of it and not to sound cheesy but it doesn't speak to me at all.
This may be weird of me to say, but I feel a closeness to God more when I listen to classical music as apposed to when I listen to contemporary Christian. O.o
Job 37:14-16
"Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God's wonders. Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash? Do you know how the clouds hang poised, those wonders of him who is perfect in knowledge?"
Nowadays I mostly listen to Gospel, Contemporary, and Classical, although I do listen to a fair amount of secular as long as it's clean.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Shtakji wrote:Nowadays I mostly listen to Gospel, Contemporary, and Classical, although I do listen to a fair amount of secular as long as it's clean.

Yeah, the secular music I listen to has to be clean
I listen to secular bands all the time, I've found that my favorite music to listen to is dominated by secular groups. :P I dunno why, it just seems like some Christian music just falls short. Although I do like Skillet. :)
CCTZ
about | feedback