Cursive Writing

In a lot of schools, cursive writing is becoming a dying art. A lot of elementary students don't learn it anymore. What is your take on this? Is it important in this technology age? Is it taught in your state?
I don't know whether or not it is still taught here in Indiana, but I learned it in my homeschool elementary years.

As for its relevancy, I'd say it is good to know cursive, seeing as there are instances in which it is appropriate to use (writing letters, addressing Christmas gifts, and a signature are all examples). I think the issue isn't that technology is progressing and we need to forget the cursive. I believe that we are embracing technology to the detriment of relationships. Nowadaysthe average teen would rather Instant Message short messages and emojis than sit down to write a letter, we'd rather send a Facebook message than actually talk, and texting is often prefered over even verbal conversations on a phone. Communication is an amazing thing capable of building relationships and getting to know people really well. It's a shame that we have replaced it with screens.

One time, a friend of mine had a birthday. I wrote a letter to her, with a poem about how great of a friend she is. She told me later that it was one of her favorite birthday experiences EVER. And guess what?

The letter was in cursive.

I submit that cursive is still relevant, not because of how often we use it, but what it means when we use it. In this technology filled world, guess what it means to send a letter written in cursive to someone?

It means you thought about the correspondance at least a day or two in advance. It means you sat down and thought intently about what you were going to say. Then you weote it down. 15 minutes later you crossed out some words that didn't fit and made sure the grammar was perfect. Then you spent another 5 or 10 minutes writing the second draft. Then you paid for a stamp and put the letter in the mailbox.

I don't always get mail. But when I do, I'm super excited. 90% of the time, I'm disappointed because it is junk, or simply a card. In fact, last time I got an actual hand written letter was last summer from my Youth Pastor. Last time I got a hand written letter from a friend? Never. In fact, that is probably one thing that would make my day.

So while cursive may not be required, I do believe it is needed, if not for formality, maybe just for the betterment of social conduct and mentality.

~~~Ryan Matlock: Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
I like cursive. I am way faster with it.
I like cursive too. Only problem is that my handwriting is pretty bad.
Oh same here. I am even worse at block though.
Haha, same!
I'm quicker at block, but only because I practiced that slightly more. I think kids will be lacking in creating/writing short-hand if they only learn block.

Also, wasn't the U.S. Constitution written in cursive? I think writing in cursive shouldn't just become something that "creative people" learn to do. Sometimes when children see something written in cursive they'll ask me, "What does that say?" and I'll have to read it aloud to them. I can't imagine if a bunch of adults couldn't read cursive! Sure, maybe we don't use it as much anymore, but I think it's a mistake to stop teaching it.

The very experience of learning something like cursive can be very beneficial. By overcoming obstacles like that we realize that we are capable of learning and doing so much.

I think what Ryan C. said is good.
"Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments." Psalm 119:164
I write in cursive. I do think that cursive should become, once again, a popular form of writing. Though I am better at printing, I still love the swirls and the flowy way. I think kids would love to practice, though some might not. I definitely think it should be a class in schools.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
Frozen: It rules!
Emily: ERK thinks she rules, but the KRE knows the Truth.
Baby Animals: They are adorable!
Me: I chase turkeys with lawn chairs.
Ugh. Cursive. I've got a strange mind and a difficult way of learning and so I never learned cursive, actually. I've tried and I can't do it.
SURRENDER YOUR COOKIES OR DIE!!
I am on the SS as, well, shnoodlec. :)
part of it is though that there is only so much time in a school day and now there has to be time given to teaching technology, so something somewhere has to be cut. Most people type now instead of write by hand so something has to give! :shock:
Very true. (Hi, never seen you before)

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
Jericho, I doubt know about you but no school I have ever been to has taught technology... o_O
SURRENDER YOUR COOKIES OR DIE!!
I am on the SS as, well, shnoodlec. :)
Actually lots of schools teach technology.

Spoiler
Show
#The Truth
CCTZ
about | feedback