Fear

Fear-possibly the most common of emotions. Everyone has been afraid at one time or another, whether it's a nervous case of the butterflies as you walk into a room of people who may not accept you, or the uncertainty of your future-we've all been there, and each person deals with it differently. When I was young I thought the opposite of love was hate, but there is a Messy Mondays video where they say fear is the true opposite of love. And I have to agree. It's hard to feel love for something or someone you are terrified of.
Someone is probably going to counter this statement by using this verse: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever."
But that's a different type of fear. You don't go against your parents because you "fear" hurting them with your actions and they will have to correct your actions in a way that is not pleasant for either of you.
1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."
We are shining lights in a world of fear. You can rise above any expectations you ever had for yourself.
"If you take that first step into the unknown you know that He won't let you go."~Britt Nicole. God will be there for you every step of the way. He has promised never to leave your side, even for a moment. He has been writing your story from the start, and if you'll trust your heart to His loving hands, He will lead you to greater things than you have ever seen. There is a sweet closeness you can have with Him in the midst of your hardest days that is not so often seen when everything is going perfectly. When things start getting hot, that's when God shows himself. Ask Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
If you can only trust Him and hold out a while longer, He will bring you through any fear you may face. He will never lead you to something He cannot lead you through.
David was a man after God's heart. I believe he had the best way to handle the situation;
"What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."
God is ultimately in control. We can give our fears to him. And since He only gives good gifts to his children, if we ask He can give us peace, joy, and love in return.
Would love to hear.. Well, actually read.. What you guys think about this.

Is there any fears you have had that you'd like to share? Maybe how you were able to overcome them?

P.S. Sorry if that sounded like I was preaching at you, I don't mean for it to be that kind of topic.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
That didn't sound preachy, Shtakji. Honestly, I really needed that. So often when anything at all worries or scares me I just shove it to the back of my mind ("Don't be silly!"). What I don't realize is that I'm striving to overcome it in my own strength. 1 John 4:8 says that God IS Love . . . so ten verse later when it says that love casts out fear it's saying that God casts out fear. Instead of striving to overcome my worries and fears in my own strength I really need to go to the true Source of love. Again, thank you so much for sharing.

"I sought the LORD, and He answered me
    and delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4 ESV

"The LORD your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
    He will rejoice over you with gladness;
    He will quiet you by His love;
    He will exult over you with loud singing." Zephaniah 3:17 ESV (underline mine)
"Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments." Psalm 119:164
I like to sound preachy. ;)
I love Psalms 91.
I totally just wrote all of this out.. But the page reloaded and chrome kicked me out. So here's the third go. x)
Thank you for the spiritual insight, Sunny. Your post helped me just as much.
Why have fear taunting you from the shadowy corners of your mind when it could be cast out completely? I love what you said about trying to overcome fears in our own strength. I'm guilty of that.
My greatest fear is letting others down. And in the past, I have used it as an excuse to not try to begin with. If you don't try, you can't fail. But you also cannot succeed, so ultimately by not trying, you fail.
And learning from failures and mistakes are a big part of what shapes us.
We are called to be overcomers. And God would never ask something of us that we could not do through Him.
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

Trust is also linked closely with fear. A little girl being rescued from a house fire trusts the firefighter holding her tight in his arms to carry her to safety even in the midst of a fiery inferno of fear.

Hmm, have you thought about becoming a preacher, Blitz? :P Oh, that's a beautiful chapter. So many wonderful promises.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Assistant Youth leader aside my normal job.
CCTZ
about | feedback