Caesar's what is Caesar's

"Tell us, therefore, what do You think? Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, “Why do you test Me, you hypocrites? Show Me the tax money.” So they brought Him a denarius. And He said to them, “Whose image and inscription is this?” They said to Him, “Caesar’s.” And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” - Matthew 22:17-21

I think we've all heard this passage of scripture before, when Jesus is asked by the Pharisees if He thinks they should pay taxes to Caesar. I've heard/read these verses many times before, but there was something I'd missed. Jesus instructs the Pharisees to pay to Caesar that which has Caesar's image upon it. Then He instructs us to give to God the things that are God's. Think about it. The money that had Caesar's image upon it was to be giving to Caesar. Who's image are you made in? I'd never thought much about the "give to God the things that are God's" part of the verses as applying to ourselves and then connecting it to Romans 12:1.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1
2 Corinthians 12:10

Your money your singleness marriage talent and time
They were loaned to you to show the world that Christ is Divine ~Lecrae

I've never thought about it that way before, but wow... that really puts new light on things for me. Thanks for sharing! (:
"Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments." Psalm 119:164
CCTZ
about | feedback